Birdbox aka I Need Therapy

Image result for birdbox



I wasn't going to watch Birdbox (Netflix) because too many people were discussing it on the internet.  I am adverse to 'what's poppin'', but I recalled watching the trailer a few months ago and being into it...mostly because of Trevante Rhodes, Lil Rel, Sarah Paulson and John Malkovich being in the film.  Sandra Bullock and Machine Gun Kelly ( a hwhite rapper) weren't going to deter me but they certainly didn't make me WANT to watch it.
No, my anti- Christmas feelings led to me the film.
Then I saw it was two hours- I checked to see if the new 'visual art' (Desus & Mero podcast on Youtube) was up.  It wasn't.
So there I was watching Birdbox.
Mallory (Sandra B.), I connected with her 'realistic' treatment of the children and being pregnant. Her disinterest in leaving her home and interacting with people she didn't already know- like wow.  Relatable.
Then shit starts going on down.  Peeps who aren't crazy see some shit and kill themselves.  Pretty freaky.  You never truly know what or why these 'creatures' started doing this, just that you cannot look at them.  This of course leads us to a bunch of different types of people hunkering down and what happens when human start interacting.  You see the best of humanity and the worst...and those that fall in between.  People like a John Malkovich character who consider themselves assholes but have the wherewithal to 'not open the door' and help every one.  Not everyone can be saved- or should be.
Where Tom (Trevante Rhodes) had heart and brawn, and wanted to save everyone, he gave everyone the benefit of the doubt.  He was so selfless, he gave his own life so that those he loved could live.
Then you had Mallory- the one I most related with- a survivor, a person who walked the fine line between the two.  She could connect with people but just thought for the most part they were trash, but she had heart and was able to love...just in her own way.
There comes a point when Mallory must travel and survive with two small children.  This is where my lack of character would show (but who will ever know because I am never having kids, so ha ha)- children are a liability mostly because they do not listen!
I am not saying I would let some kids die, but I am also not saying I wouldn't be like 'I told you so' to the sky if something did happen to them.
Birdbox can be considered horror, but I find it to be more suspenseful.  You never actual see what these 'creatures' are...only through the eyes of a crazy person, and can you really trust that? So then the question becomes are these 'creatures' a symbol of something we should fight against in society? And its like, have you lived in this world?  We're fucked and people are trash, and it is going to take extra levels of not being a total asshole and being so above it all that you're blind to the bullshit.
See what I did there.
If/when you watch the film you might think that was cool.

Having hollered at death for a couple 2-3 minutes this year, I totally get the living life and not just surviving thing.  You have to find something that makes you happy.  YOU, not something to post on line that will make people think you're good.  You really have to be good or you've already lost half the battle.

Watch Birdbox, it's a frightful think piece.

Comments

Popular Posts