Good Things I've Put In My Mouth Lately: Summa, Summa Eats




Ahhhh, alas it is somewhat summer in New York City- I say somewhat because the weather has been real iffy leaving me and my tan out in the cold.  Brrrr...
The eating though is always good.  Grilling n' chilling, are the kinda things I like to get into.  I don't grill myself, unless you count the George Foreman grill...can they do a Chopped (Food Network AMAZING show) with all the contestants using a George Foreman grill.  Would keep things interesting and the meat COOKED.
So, I kicked off my summer aka Memorial Day weekend in the Virginia/Washington D.C. area.  Just being all patriotic n' shit. 
My mom and cousin love this spot called Busboys and Poets in Shirlington, VA.  My mom practically orgasms (gross) at the mere mention of their shrimp and grits.  I of course ordered that along with a cucumber and gin cocktail.  I think there was some agave in there too.  Maybe everything was organic- yes, organic vodka- because I like to be THAT GAL at times.  In any case, I have been BIG into cucumber drinks- perhaps it's my summer thing.  Just find them so refreshing and delightful.  Even the non-alcoholic ones.  For instance, Jane (West Village/Soho area, NYC) makes this amazing cucumber ginger ale soda!  I dream about it sometimes....




My shrimp and grits came and I was pleasantly surprised.  The grits were GRILLED...as was the shrimp...and there was this sauce with corn and asparagus. Absolutely delish!  Momma knows.


One day my friend Ruddy (of Ruddy Was Here) G-chatted me that he had a taste for some chicken and waffles.  The next thing I knew, he planned a brunch at this diamond in the ruff Smithfields (Chelsea, NYC).  This is why we are friends.  He talks about it and be's about it!
Then of course he got nervous that because no one had been to this spot- it just may suck.  Thankfully the crew he invited were all open minded and greedy mofo's.  Smithfields is a sports bar and restaurant, but doesn't fit that usual 'grungy' vibe- there is exposed brick and a real comfy yet clean feel.  Being who we are, we decided to order appetizers as a way to get us...wet for the chicken n' waffles brunch!  We all saw shrimp buns on the menu and we all ordered them...and begrudgingly shared them with 1 other person.




Them shrimp buns were SUCH a good choice.  We didn't want them to end.  Those who ate slow almost got jacked for their piece of shrimp bun- that's how REAL it was. 
There was a coconut battered shrimp, with some chili sauce and a jicama slaw.  Ahhhhhhhhh I want 4 of them NOW!


Then the chicken and waffle came with more slaw AND house made cardamom maple syrup.  EFFING DELIGHTFUL!  The chicken was seasoned, the waffle was crisp and chewy.
Sometimes new places surprise you and this was a great find!-plus you can watch soccer which means SOCCER THIGHS.
#winning!

Comments

Popular Posts