Thank You, Prince.

**I started this on Friday April 22nd and am able to finish it today.  I wish myself luck.**

This may have no rhyme or reason because Prince dying does not seem reasonable so just bear with me.

I honestly don't know what to write.
I could go into my introduction to Prince and how that changed the course of my life.  Hmmm, maybe not changed the course.  Just impacted me in such a way that his death felt like a family member- or like someone I knew and cared for had died.  It feels like a punch to the gut.  I feel raw and everything seems surreal.
Prince is my all time favorite artist.  His music has gotten me through this thing called life and all of its moments.  There is a comfort I find in his music and that I am able to LOVE him as a person too- even though I did not know him personally.
You see as enigmatic as he was, he was so genuinely him that you KNEW him.  Real recognize real.
Prince is the originator of 'no fux given'.  He planted those seeds in me that came into bloom as I evolved and grew.

Prince just seemed immortal.  He did not seem of this world because here he was one of the most talented people ever...yet he was generous and shared his gifts.
Like I had to sit and really comprehend that he is dead and I NEVER MET THE MAN.  I still don't think I get it though.

I am at a loss for words.  Usually when I write these... 'Cashmere obits' it is cathartic, but my feelings are so all over the place- and with all the disbelief (still), I am getting no comfort from this.
It has all been said a dozen times in a dozen ways.  All I can do is try to come to terms with this.

I created a playlist.  It is called 'Purple Reign'- I thought I was sooooo clever until I saw that about 15 other people have created mixtapes, dance mixes, etc. with the SAME name.
In any case, I felt good about it.  I have a whole bunch of his music on it- collabos, songs he's written and then artists that I feel he has influenced (well it should be everyone)- artists I feel he has listened to and was like 'word'.  I think my mix is bangin' and it definitely helps.
I can't listen to 'purple rain' though because that song always makes me cry...and in this instance I would be in a ball on the B train.  You can't show weakness in general, but ESPECIALLY on the NYC MTA.

I have posted blogs about Prince- this one and that one.
There may be more because it is obvious he is...was ...will remain a big part of my being.

Prince...*sigh*...I don't know what else to say.
Never forgotten...and thank you.



Comments

Popular Posts